So, Nick and I wanted to start breaking some stuff in the house. You know, make it look like we actually did something. Unfortunately for the den and the paneling it became the focus of our destruction. There really was some reason behind the ripping down of the paneling – we wanted to see what was behind it. The focus is trying to make the house as efficient as possible.
What did we find? Cinder block. This house is built like a brick shithouse. Seriously built very well. Ok, the original house is. No comment on the new part at this time. However, we did not find any insulation. None. Which means we need to frame and insulate anything that is still on the outside. Bonus: the paneling is 3/4″ thick pine. We will be reusing this wood for a project yet to be determined in the future.
In the midst of all this destruction, we had a revelation about the layout of the house. Right now the new part doesn’t flow very well into the old part of the house. We realized that if we took out one window that was still in the den, put a door into the bedroom and closed off the original door, we would have a master suit of sorts. Other than taking out some of the cinder block, there is not too much work to make the flow much, much better.
Of course, we had a bit of fun this day and installed a “Glory Hole” while trying to figure out placement. If you don’t have a sense of humor during this kind of remodel, you won’t last long.